School History

St Joseph’s Convent at Wingham was opened for business in 1935. The pioneer sisters used the old wooden church as a school until 1953 when a new church was built. In the ‘old’ church the altar and classes were separated by a curtain on school days.

Infants and Primary grades were taught until 1961, then three Secondary classes were also conducted. The old church building continued to be a school until the present school was opened in 1974 with an enrolment of 80 pupils.

In 1982 the Wingham convent was closed and became the school administration and library. In both 2001 and 2010 the school underwent significant upgrades including a restoration of the old convent building, the building of new amenities, covered walkways, the new school hall, canteen and a new school library.

St Joseph's Primary School recognises the traditional owners of the area, the Biripi people.

Image: Manning River, Wingham NSW